Workplace Lawyers in Toronto Reveal 7 Labour and Employment Rules
By Geoff G.R.
Employment lawyers in Toronto represent individuals and businesses in court with workplace-related legal matters.
Employment lawyers are well versed with the Labour Relations Act. They can obtain your rights and unpaid wages in cases involving wrongful dismissal and severance pay. Vice versa, employment law firms can represent corporations and offices in Toronto with similar lawsuits.
Ontario labour laws protect both employers and employees in instances involving termination of employment without cause, broken contracts and discrimination in the workplace. If the laws have been broken, a human rights lawyer in Toronto will try to settle the case with mediation before it goes to trial (and during appeals, if necessary).
Employment Lawyers Serving Toronto
Pinto Wray James LLP
393 University Ave., Suite 2000
Toronto, ON M5G 1E6
Phone (416) 703-2067
6 - 14845 Yonge St., Suite 337
Aurora, ON L4G 6H8
Phone (416) 944-8155
Whitten and Lublin
141 Adelaide St. West, Suite 420
Toronto, ON M5H 3L5
Phone (416) 640-1583
7 Things to Know about Employment Law in Toronto
- You cannot be transferred to another workplace location without your consent.
- Your insurance benefits cannot be canceled, unless your employer handbook states otherwise. Your pension may be canceled, depending on the situation.
- Time and a half is payable if you work overtime, regardless if you are salaried, or paid hourly (with several exceptions).
- You can be fired without a written or verbal warning.
- You must be warned before being fired if you are in sales, if your performance is below your employer’s expectations.
- You can be fired if you miss work for an unreasonable amount of time, even due to illness (depending on the severity of the illness).
- You are entitled to the same job you had before taking a maternity leave, unless the position no longer exists.
Also see: Business Litigation Lawyers